Walnut-Crusted Roast with Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Total Recipe Time: 1-3/4 to 2 hours
Makes 8 to 10 Servings
- 1 beef eye round roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes, warmed
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 325°F. Combine Walnut Crust ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F oven 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours for medium rare doneness. (Do not overcook.)
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare.)
- Meanwhile combine mashed potatoes and cheese in large bowl; keep warm.
- Carve beef roast into thin slices; season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Nutrition information per serving, 1/8 of recipe: 320 calories; 12 g fat(4 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 61 mg cholesterol; 403 mg sodium; 21 g carbohydrate; 0.6 g fiber; 31 g protein; 6.1 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 2.9 mg iron; 29.3 mcg selenium; 4.9 mg zinc.
Cook's Tip: Any type of prepared mashed potatoes may be used in this recipe: instant, refrigerated, frozen or homemade.
Recipe courtesy The Beef Checkoff