Mini Meatball and Vegetable Soup
Total Recipe Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 pound ground beef (80% to 85% lean)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Italian-style dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups frozen vegetable blend (such as green beans, corn and peas)
- Salt and pepper
- Combine tomatoes, broth and 1/2 cup water in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine ground beef, bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons water in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 32 one-inch meatballs.
- Add meatballs and vegetables to broth mixture; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 374 calories; 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 58 mg cholesterol; 1091 mg sodium; 4 g carbohydrate; 7.3 g fiber; 24 g protein; 6.3 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.9 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 13.4 mcg selenium; 3.8 mg zinc.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Recipe courtesy The Beef Checkoff