Total Recipe Time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 Servings
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 slices sweet onion (1/2-inch)
- Vegetable oil
- 8 slices Swiss process cheese food
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 4 crusty rolls, split, toasted
- Romaine lettuce, tomato slices
- Lightly shape ground beef into four 3/4-inch thick patties. Brush onion with oil. Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange onion around patties. Grill, uncovered, 13 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 13 to 14 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Season with salt and pepper after turning. About 1 minute before patties are done, top each with 2 cheese slices.
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard; spread on top halves of rolls. Serve burgers and onion in rolls with lettuce and tomato.
Nutrition information per serving: 762 calories; 50 g fat (20 g saturated fat; 10 g monounsaturated fat); 171 mg cholesterol; 1121 mg sodium; 27 g carbohydrate; 1.5 g fiber; 50 g protein; 7.7 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 3.5 mcg vitamin B12; 4.3 mg iron; 27.6 mcg selenium; 8.0 mg zinc.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Recipe courtesy The Beef Checkoff