Total Recipe Time: 2 to 2-3/4 hours
Makes 4 servings
- 1 boneless beef chuck blade steak, cut 1 inch thick (about 2 pounds)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetable seasoning blend (such as onion, bell pepper, celery, parsley)
- 2 cups prepared red wine pasta sauce or marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, cut in half (cut into quarters if large)
- Salt and Pepper
- Hot cooked pasta (optional)
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef steak in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove steak from stockpot; season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot. Add vegetable seasoning blend; cook and stir 6 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in pasta sauce and water. Return steak with juices to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until steak is fork-tender.
- Remove steak; keep warm. Add mushrooms to cooking liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and sauce is thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile carve steak into thin strips. Add to sauce; cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve over pasta, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 510 calories; 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 9 g monounsaturated fat); 135 mg cholesterol; 914 mg sodium; 24 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 47 g protein; 6.7 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 3.2 mcg vitamin B12; 6.9 mg iron; 39.5 mcg selenium; 13.8 mg zinc.
Cook's Tip: Three cups of a mixture of chopped onion, green bell pepper, celery and parsley may be substituted for frozen vegetable seasoning blend.
Recipe courtesy The Beef Checkoff